Welcome to my Blog!

Hi there, nice to have you visiting! I'm Heidi and this is the blog for Heidi Bears. Here is where I post all the happenings in my work and daily life. Here and there you'll find info on things that have caught my attention as well as the odd tutorial. I hope you enjoy your visits. I love to have feedback, so leave me a comment!

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Bobble Cast On: a Tutorial, and some thoughts on personality...

Today was a really hectic day, with a lot happening at work...in fact this whole week has been quite a handful. I had great intentions to post this tutorial earlier this week, but you know...the road to perdition and all... so after some delay, here it is...

I was thinking about our kids today, and how different they are in some respects. I have been doing homework in the afternoons with the little one, and the Afrikaans spelling is just a giant weight on her shoulders! She really doesn't enjoy the subject at all, and I again realized just how different they are...my older daughter is fully independent (and has been from a very young age), gets on with her work, plans by herself, is studious and self driven. She does well at school and I never have to check up on her school things...The baby on the other hand, is a free spirit, with a natural tendency to art, music, drama and all things colourful. She is very bright, and also very responsible with her school work (she nags me to death to get her projects done early...), but is the absolute queen of drama. Nothing is done half measure, and all situations can be exploited for dramatic purpose...yet both children came from the same parents (yes...I promise ;) ), have grown up in the same environment, and have the same amount of attention and encouragement, yet they are so different in some aspects of their personalities....

So in a nutshell...do you think it's nature or nurture?

Above is a picture of a visit we made to the Dinosaur Park in Mpumalanga. Take a look at who is doing what....



Notice the bottled water and chic outfit...and the knees.... :)


And now onto other things...

The bobble cast on idea has a bit of a history. Since I fiddled with the Picot Cast On with a twist,
I have been plotting and scheming on how to make a bigger , fatter "picot". The only solution in my mind, is to make a bobble, but when I looked for some idea of how to do this, I couldn't find anything on the internet or in my book stash.... I sat for a whole day, fiddling and trying to figure out, and (it must be said, my faculties have lessened in acuity somewhat, since I had my kids...;) ), eventually came to the conclusion that one has to first knit a row before you can go ahead with the bobble bit. Good, I thought, I have learned something :)

I phoned my good friend Dana later in the evening, and told her of my herculean effort. "Oh", she said, "I know how to do that, I have a pattern for that!" .... it must be said that Dana is singularly talented, and in retrospect, of course she would know how to do this... BTW, she is releasing her new book this year...I have seen what is in it, and I tell you, it's a sizzler! So keep an eye out on her blog...

So....what is this all leading up to? If I happen to be the only person out there who doesn't know how to do a bobble cast on, forgive me! :) If there happens to be someone else who hasn't been classically educated in the art of bobbling, this is for you....


This is what you are going to learn to do. The tutorial is probably over explained, but I like to do this so that newbies can also manage...




Ok, you can pretty much do this Bobble Cast On in any yarn, although perhaps laceweight yarn won't make a bobble, more of a full stop. That being said, the technique is the same irrespective of yarn weight.


Cast on the number of stitches that you need. I left two side stitches, as you will see later, because it gives the work a little bit of an edge before the fat little bobble appears, and just looks better.

Knit one row, and turn your work around. Above you can see that I have done just that.


Knit 2 stitches. Throughout the tutorial I will refer to the left hand needle as the LHN, and the right hand needle, as the RHN.


Insert the RHN into the next stitch on the LHN. You are going to knit into this stitch as you would normally, but you don't drop the stitch you have knitted into from the LHN. Just leave the loop of yarn on there .


Above, you can see that the new stitch has been made , but the loop of the old stitch is still on the LHN.


This knit stitch you have just made on the RHN, is the FIRST stitch of your bobble. You will now do a YARN OVER. What this means , is that you aren't going to make a real stitch, more of a little cheat by just wrapping the working yarn around the RHN, in the direction as shown above.


Above, you can see how your work should look once the yarn over has been done. It is so easy to do...it is essentially just bringing your yarn towards you through the two needle points...



Insert your RHN tip into THE SAME STITCH as in the previous photos, and make a new regular knit stitch. (Notice, how the yarn over will created a clearly seen stitch once you have knitted a stitch after it)


Knitting a new stitch as normal....


New knit stitch pulled through , but again DO NOT DROP the LHN loop. In the picture above, I have labelled the new stitch a "half knit" stitch because I haven't completed the knitting motion, by dropping the loop form the LHN. You have now made 3 stitches of your bobble.



Do a second Yarn Over, just like before....


Knit into the same loop on the LHN as before...insert RHN into same loop on LHN...





Pull the stitch through but this time, drop the loop from the LHN. You have made 5 stitches for your bobble.


You have 7 stitches on your RHN, of which 5 stitches make up your bobble... You will concentrate only on these 5 stitches for the next rounds, making the bobble come alive :)


Turn your work around...it should look like the picture above...


Purl the first stitch.


The next stitch was made in the previous round, by a Yarn Over, so I like to knit through the back of it, to give it a little twist . This " through the back loop" purling only happens on this row
, and only on the two stitches that were made by the Yarn Overs in the previous round.


Purling through the back loop...


Purl the next stitch as normal, then purl through the back loop of the following stitch and finally purl the last stitch of the 5 stitches that make up your bobble.
Your work should look like the picture above.


Turn your work around, and knit all 5 stitches. Turn your work around.


Now purl all the stitches of your bobble again., and turn your work around for the last time.


Knit the 5 stitches for the last time. If you push your finger into the back of the bobble to pop it out a bit, you'll see how nice and fat it is :)


Using your LHN, slip the 2nd st of your bobble, over the 1st st, as seen above.



You have a little gap that has formed where the 3nd stitch has been slipped over the first.


Slip the 3rd st of your bobble, over the 1st st, as before...


Repeat the above process until you have slipped the 5th st of your bobble over the 1st st. You should have 3 stitches left on your RHN, 2 knit stitches from tight at the beginning of the row, and the single stitch (1st) of your bobble.



Knit 3 stitches from your LHN, and repeat the bobble making process into the next stitch on your LHN. Repeat until the right amount of bobbles have been made. Carry on with your pattern.

I must say that I really love this bobble cast on (although strictly speaking , it isn't really a true cast on , as you have knitted one row before starting to make bobbles).

Hope you all make many stunning items using this cute Bobble edge, :)

Have a good evening,

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so fabulous! Thank you for sharing the fruits of your labor!

S said...

Heidi see if you can get a copy of 'Why first borns want to rule the world and last borns want to change it' ~ http://www.amazon.com/First-Borns-Rule-World-Last-Borns-Change/dp/1740511980
it will open your eyes to a whole new world and have you reflecting on traits of siblings and extended family with new wisdom.

martine said...

hi, popping over from ravelry, really excellent clear tutorial, thanks for sharing
martine

projektleiterin said...

Very cool tutorial!

projektleiterin said...

Very cool tutorial!

K said...

Please feel free to over-explain any time you like - about ANYTHING. The bobbles are seductive. But even without their interest, just looking at your tutorial is a pleasure all in itself.

Heidi said...

My pleasure Monikita!

Heidi said...

Thank you Shannon...I am going to look it up on Loot...

Heidi said...

Pleasure Martine!

Heidi said...

Thank you, Projekleiterin!

Heidi said...

As always K, you are too sweet and kind...thank you :)
X♥X

dat Bea said...

Really lovely! This´ll do well for my next pair of socks!

Thanks a lot, great tutorial!

old lady said...

Thank you - that's really cool! Is there a bobble cast-off? The bobbles would look really cool on a boy's baby blanket!

Dropped Stitch Knitter said...

I've never tried this, but now I'm inspired... I've done some entrelac work and it doesn't seem too different...

Laura Ivonne Servetti said...

Hi ! Thank you very much !! An excellent tutorial !! Cheers from Italy !

Bludragon said...

Nice tutorial, thanx! I had an idea for this in application to Ped socks replacing that silly little fuzzy ball at the heal. Do you think this might work?