Welcome to my Blog!

Hi there, nice to have you visiting! I'm Heidi and this is the blog for Heidi Bears. Here is where I post all the happenings in my work and daily life. Here and there you'll find info on things that have caught my attention as well as the odd tutorial. I hope you enjoy your visits. I love to have feedback, so leave me a comment!

Friday, May 28, 2010

Log Cabin Crochet Block Tutorial...and a Giveaway!

Hi dear friends,

Today's post is really short and perhaps not as well photographed as I would like...
we have all been struck down with the dreaded lergy...headaches, coughing, noses running...it's not a pretty sight! So, as much as I wanted to do a nice clean, (properly exposed) tutorial, I sat on my bed and crocheted a quick easy one...

In addition, I am doing a giveaway for all my followers! Thank you so much to everyone who visits me here...although I may not manage to respond to every comment, I really appreciate you dropping in :) As a token of my appreciation, I am giving away the following items:

A gorgeous Bear making kit, complete with mohair and all the bits and pieces you need to make this little person (you just need hands ,needle and sewing thread...or alternatively, a sewing machine and thread) :)
Two beautiful Susan Bates crochet hooks (sizes 2.75mm and 3.75mm), stunningly decorated by the talented Jenn Edwards, in floral polymer clay...
A big skein of hand-dyed pink and green 100% merino wool yarn

So if you are already a follower, you don't need to do anything...if you do follow by the time I do the random draw (Sunday 18hoo South African time), you will automatically be entered into the draw :)

Now for the brief tutorial. I am making a little block for a blanket for a small boy who recently lost his mommy, and wanted to do something traditional, but in boy colours, so I made a very simple log cabin block in blues and greens...



Firstly, choose the colours you like. Try to keep the yarn weights similar or your block will be wonky.
Chain as many stitches as you would like you central square to be.

Skip one stitch and start to do Sc stitches into each chain. When you get to the first chain you made, crochet the last Sc on this side of the work, and turn your work around.


End of first row reached. Once you have turned your work, ch 1, then start to Sc into each loop of the stitches made in row 1. Keep repeating the rows until you have a square shaped piece of crochet.


Tie on a new colour and insert your hook into the first stitch loop, yarn around hook, pull through, yarn around hook, pull through both loops on the hook. Continue to do Sc into each previously done stitch as before. Complete as many rows as you find pleasing.

Once you have completed enough rows, again change colour, but this time join in the new colour so that you are crocheting along the edge of BOTH previous colours (see above pic). Complete as many rows as you did with the first colour change (this keeps thing sort of balanced, and will tend to keep the overall shape square).
Keep going around as you can see above, changing colours and doing as many rows as you feel look right. Work in the loose ends...

Simple, but sweet.

Off to bed for me,
Have a good evening
Lots of Love,
Heidi :)

10 comments:

Renna said...

I'd say your tutorial looks pretty good for someone not at their best. I've recently been bitten by the crochet bug, and am anxious to try the Log Cabin block, myself! :-)

K said...

Oh, I hope you take your rest and let the sickness pass. Sometimes it's a matter of "The Lord maketh me to lie down . . ."

I have never seen anyone do this square here in the states. Very striking. And I am so sad for the child.

Lori said...

Just recently discovered your blog, and I love it and all the very detailed tutorials. I am a very visual person and learn best while watching someone. Love all the happy colors throughout your site. It brightens my day.
Lori

Gill said...

Hi Heidi
What a coincidence!
I signed up to follow your blog yesterday because of all your crochet (I'm a learner!) and I found you had a tutorial for the gorgeous african flowers that seem to be everywhere at the moment!
Thanks

Gill

Linda said...

This is lovely my friend!

Louise said...

Thank you so much for your kind comments on my blog,it was very comforting to read them all.
Hope you feel a bit more perky soon . I'm loving the log cabin crochet- easy when you know how !
Louise x

Heidi said...

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments...you know I appreciate your time and for stopping by...

Lia said...

How very nice this idea for working.
Really often you need to see the inventions of others to enlighten yourself.

Sandhya Karandikar said...

Hi Heidi,
You have such a beautiful looking blog with such good work on it.I visited your blog via post in the African Flower form Ravelry.
Your tutorials are good and you have used some very lovely colours for the tutorials.
I too am a crafts person and attempt every craft that I am able to do. Crochet being top of the page, cross stitch, embroidery, sewing, knitting, candle making, dough craft, making moulded chocolates, various paper crafts including origami and paper making and others.
I live in India.

Elsje Louw said...

Love your blog!!! Why have I only discovered your itnow?? Great to see a funky crochet blog from a South African. I am from East London and you? Love your hooks - are they available in SA?