Welcome to my Blog!

Hi there, nice to have you visiting! I'm Heidi and this is the blog for Heidi Bears. Here is where I post all the happenings in my work and daily life. Here and there you'll find info on things that have caught my attention as well as the odd tutorial. I hope you enjoy your visits. I love to have feedback, so leave me a comment!

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Easter cookies: A recipe you just have to try...


Happy Day! Blogger is working...

Last night I tried in vain to do a post, as Blogger seemed to have a few glitches... but here I am back today with the next installment of the travelling Easter Tree.


I wondered what to do next to decorate our little tree, and decided on the Easter cookies, because it allows the kiddies to do something as well...and of course eat up everything afterwards!



Easter Cookies


These are truly the most delicious cookies I have ever tasted :) I have spent what seems like forever perfecting this particular recipe and am so happy to share it with you...


Ingredients:


5 cups cake flour

3 heaped teaspoons baking powder

1 and a half cups of fine castor sugar

350g butter

real vanilla essence/paste/extract (I used vanilla paste 3 tblsps, but you need to decide how strong your vanilla is an adjust accordingly...that said, I tend to put quite a lot, so that you can smell the vanilla in the final cookie)

4 Tblsps golden syrup

2 extra large eggs


Mix all your dry ingredients in a bowl.



Cut the butter into small squares, which makes the mixing easier in the food processor.


Mix the blocked butter into the dry ingredients until you have a light and crumbly mixture. I just do the mixing in my Kenwood, it's easier than doing it by hand....


In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, golden syrup and the vanilla.


Pour the liquid ingredients into the mixer slowly while letting it run.


The resultant dough shouls be easy to work, not cracking easily but not sticky. If you have got sticky dough, you can just add a small amount of cake flour until the consistency is right.


Roll out onto a suitable surface using a rolling pin. I have chosen an egg shaped cookie cutter, but also cut out some small cookies using my girls play-do cutters (wash these well before use...) These smallies make the best cookie cutters, and they come in such cute shapes and sizes (adorable, little things). Use a flat spatula to pick up the cut-outs and place on a baking tray that you have sprayed well with non-stick spray.

Bake at 160 degrees Celsius for approximately 10 minutes. You really need to watch them , because ovens vary and 160 degrees in my oven may not mean 160 degrees in your oven!! They are ready to be taken out when they are a lovely golden brown, but still a little moist on the inside.


Afetr you have taken them out of the oven, use a plastic straw to make a small hole at one end. The cookie will still be warm inside and its's easy to make a neat round hole...This will be for the ribbon to go through.


Wait until the cookies have cooled down completely on a wire rack and then decorate to your hearts' content :)
Hope you enjoy!
Our Share the Love Heart Swap is filling up nicely...
Please would Kate, Curley Monkey and Cute Little Thing email me with addresses, blog addresses and email addresses...I need to send you your partner's details :)
Have a wonderful Day!
Lots of Love,
Heidi :)

5 comments:

S said...

Yum! Thank you for sharing your recipe. The big girl is on school holidays so we might do a bit of baking...

Heidi said...

It's a pleasure! Love, Heidi :)

Julie said...

So pretty and festive! The tree keeps getting cuter and cuter! (Wish I could take tomorrow off work and bake your cookies, instead. :))

StrawberryDenim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heidi said...

Thanks Julie! Work really does interfere with the important stuff in life! ;) I know the feeling...