Welcome to my Blog!

Hi there, nice to have you visiting! I'm Heidi and this is the blog for Heidi Bears. Here is where I post all the happenings in my work and daily life. Here and there you'll find info on things that have caught my attention as well as the odd tutorial. I hope you enjoy your visits. I love to have feedback, so leave me a comment!

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Crocheted Bobble Edging Tutorial

Today I am posting a tutorial on how to make a very simple crocheted bobble edging. I mentioned before that I wanted to play around with ideas for edging off Nani's Hexagon blanket and I wanted something that reflects her happy, quirky personality. The hexagon blanket is being made (and here I assure you...I have stuck to the goal of doing two hex's every day until it is finished...yes, yes, I know the year is only 4 days old :) .....) in hectic, bright colours, because that just what Nani is like! So, without further ado...here is the tutorial...

I have crocheted a simple sc base on which to work. Above you can see that I have just turned the work and chained one.

Slip stitch into the FIRST space of the row. (Remember...a Slip Stitch is hook into space, yarn around hook, pull through space AND loop on hook in one movement).

Chain 2.

Now you will start a series of incomplete Double Crochet stitches....what you do is this: Yarn around Hook, insert hook into same space (as you made the slip st), yarn around hook, pull through...you have three loops on your hook...yarn around hook, pull through TWO LOOPS... you will be left with two loops on your hook...

Repeat the same again...yarn around hook, insert hook into same space again, yarn around hook, pull through, you have 4 loops on your hook, yarn around hook, pull through TWO LOOPS only...you now have THREE loops on your hook...

Repeat again...just as before...you should have FOUR LOOPS on your hook now...

Yarn around hook and pull through ALL FOUR LOOPS on your hook...

Chain 1.

Slip Stitch into same space as you have been working...watch the pretty bobble form...
:)
Slip stitch into the next two stitches of your base work...this gives you a little space between the bobbles, making things nice and even :)

Repeat the steps to make a bobble...easy as pie!

If your little bobble isn't nice and fat, use your little finger to "pop" out the stitches forming the bobble (from the back of your work), creating a little hollowed space at the back of the bobble...

Hope you enjoy making this...

Have a lovely afternoon folks!
♥Heidi

21 comments:

Saskia said...

That is incredible!

Manja A. said...

DANKE! ;O)
Liebe Grüße,*Manja*

Scattychick said...

Thank you so much for this Heidi I will be having a go at it.I only started crochet very recently inspired by your bear (whose pattern I will get when I am a bit better) I am making a blanket using the heaxagon pattern and about 34 hexagons into it. My only problem is I can't get them to lay flat and can't work out what I am doing wrong. If you have any idea and the time to let me know I would be very grateful x

Heidi said...

Thanks everyone! :)
Scattychick, send me a couple of photos of your hexagons, and which yarns and size hook you are using , and I'll try to figure out why they aren't lying flat :)
♥Heidi

Heidi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ariane said...

This looks very cute, thanks a lot.

isaquarel said...

superbe j'adore ce point^^

isaquarel said...

superbe! j'adore ce point!!!

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

This is really cute :) :) I think this would make a nice, lovely edging for a pillowcase, too :) ) Thanks for the nice photos, Heidi :) love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

nanmarie said...

Oh what serendipity! I am crocheting a very simple pattern - mostly single crochet - blanket and was just thinking tonight about adding a special edge. This will be perfect. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Thanks Heidi - I've almost finished Little D's ripple blanket and will definitely try this edging - it's so cute!!!! Hope you are well. x

Sarah said...

Just wanted to say thanks for the great tutorial! I just put this edging on a bonnet and it's beautiful!

Shana said...

Heidi this is so simple and cute. Thanks for posting it. I'm actually in the process of sewing a crazy quilt for my 14...almost 15 yr old daughter and I'm attempting all kinds of hand embellishing, along with ribbons, beads, buttons etc. I also love to crochet and knit so I was looking for some cute ways to work small parts of that in there too. I'm definitely giving this one a place of honor on one of the blocks :)

Unknown said...

How do you do the corner if using this on a blanket?

Toni said...

THANK YOU so much for this pattern; I couldn't find an edge that I liked until I found this, I love it! I edged an afghan with a slightly modified version of this and it won at my state fair.

Anonymous said...

OH THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! I am a beginner crocheter and I purchased 2 books on borders alone, well, I can't read the patterns. LOL I'll have to learn I guess, but this is absolutely perfect for the queen size blanket I am making right now!!! I just wanted a simple textured border that i could secure it all with and this is the one!!

Unknown said...

I'm new to crocheting. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Really good and informative bobble crochet pattern. Great post!

www.inga-design.com

Bugga in OK said...

Heidi, Thank you, thank you for this wonderful adorable bobble edging and the easy to understand tutorial.

I had made several beanie hats for my granddaughters for Christmas but they looked so plain. I got them out and added this bobble edging to them and they are so cute now!

Pigtails said...

Great edging - just used it to edge a laslappiekombers. xxx

Unknown said...

Thank you so much! Such a well worded tutorial. Can't wait to use it on my afghan