Welcome to my Blog!

Hi there, nice to have you visiting! I'm Heidi and this is the blog for Heidi Bears. Here is where I post all the happenings in my work and daily life. Here and there you'll find info on things that have caught my attention as well as the odd tutorial. I hope you enjoy your visits. I love to have feedback, so leave me a comment!

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Zambezi Sun...and getting ready for the mighty Zambezi...

Hi :)

It's been quite a peaceful, creative kind of day...I decided that I would get some basic "have-to-do" things out of the way and spend a bit of quiet time just creating, before the busy-ness of the afternoon set in...so I made some charm bracelets (which I have put in my Etsy shop), and planned some bits of the first project I am working on for the book that Linda and myself are planning...this has been the big theme of the week: we have decided to pool our creativity and friendship into a collaborative project: our KNITTING BOOK!! This is something completely new for us, we have no real experience in authoring a book, but we are so excited and determined to make it happen :) The project I am busy designing is very bright, funky and I think will be a really fun "something" to make... I am especially pleased as I think I may have unvented something new, technique wise ;) wooohoooo!


My darling daughter left me a little message on my beading workspace, before she went to bed...I was very touched to see it... it is indeed a precious thing to be loved...

On our second day in Zambia, we had booked a canoe trip down the Zambezi. When we woke up, it was pouring with rain, and the guides said it was too dangerous to go canoeing as visibility was poor...so we were quite ok to sit at the veranda and chat to each other, read and crochet (me)...
and just enjoy the lovely greenery and atmosphere. I have a rule that I never go anywhere without my camera (because you never know when the picture opportunity will present itself), but for some inconceivable reason, I had left my G10 in the hotel room...stupid! While we were having breakfast a herd of zebra calmly grazed on the lawns, completely peaceful, and I didn't want to miss the pics, so I ran back to the room, got my camera and spent the next 10 minutes getting soaked, but also getting some lovely photos of these stripy little people...

One of the zebras had a foal, who was really very mischievious and kept harassing her, biting her tail, shoving and prancing about... I came within a few metres of them and they were alert and slightly nervous, but didn't bolt...a special moment.


The Zambezi Sun is a beautiful hotel, and an enormous amount of attention has been paid to every corner of it...The whole style is a comfortable fusion between Moroccan and African, with rich tones and interesting accessories.

This striking painting hung in one of the lobbies...

Amazing, goodness-knows-what-ahedron wrought iron lights...

Garden refuge from the rain...

A wrought iron warthog family...forever vigilant...

More lovely lighting...

The marimba band played during the rain, a truly talented bunch of musicians...

I can't get over these darn lights...I want to take them home....

A veranda...
An alcove in the wall, with a wonderful glass vessel...

I love the contrast of colours...

A ceiling with direction, just look at the detail...

These chairs were in the lobby, purely decorative and entirely made of beads...

My little one playing the xylophone, while we were waiting to go canoeing...(we eventually went down river in our little canoes...what an experience, will post soon!)

On another note: I have discovered the most AMAZING, one of a kind crochet hooks, beautifully wrought by Katherine Kowalski. They took my breath away...you have got to check it out!
And a happy 11th birthday to dear little Erin, who lives across the road from me, and is one very special girl! Have a wonderful day :)
I wanted to say a thank you to everyone who takes the time to leave a comment and visit here...I don't always manage to reply back, but please know that you are all appreciated!
Have a good evening folks,
Lots of Love,
Heidi :)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Heidi what a wonderful holiday - I'm quite green (and it's got nothing to do with Earth Day) :)

K said...

Oh Heidi - you shoot exactly what I would shoot. How wonderful!! The colors are so saturated, I can feel the rain. And the zebras. Amazing. I always wondered how the heck God was able to design DNA that would make stripes that could continue through hair - and such sharp lines to the shapes. I want to learn from him how to do this.

Here is the very funny thing - as I look at this, I am completely at Epcot Center at Disney World, and I am thinking, "How did they achieve this detail?? It looks just like AFRICA!! WONDERFUL!!!" So they must do a very good job in Florida.

I love the Moroccan lighting. We have a friend who is from there. He loves it here, but we love him with his Moroccanness here.

How amazing. If a herd of deer came into my yard, I'd be charmed and amazed. But a herd of striped horses. It's like being in a children's book.

Nicole Vangen said...

Awesome and colorful photos! What an exotic place. I am feeling a tinge of jealousy...in a good way!


Namaste, Nicole

Val said...

Brilliant photos...love the Zebras and the colours in the hotel are totally gorgeous!



Thanks for Sharing :0)

Astrid and Dale said...

Hello Heidi
You don't know me but we have just returned from ZAmbia, I also love to read anything and noticed the Qilika signage at customs. So being a curious cat I researched some and found out the Qilika is a beer made from Prickly Pear (Did you have some Prickly Pear while you were there) lovely to eat but the prickles were nasty sneaky little things.
Had a great time, no rain for us luckily and wasn't it cool to see the animals at the Zam Sun (that is also where we stayed) just wandering around especially I thought the rogue Baboons raiding rubbish etc, I know they are a pest but soooo funny.